King’s Cross has been a place of trade since Roman times and from 1820 until the 1960s, Regent’s Canal played an important part in this trade. The canal linked King’s Cross to the major industrial cities in the North of England. And for over 140 years brought coal, goods and building materials to London
The King’s Cross Coal Drops were used by the merchant and coal mine owner, Samuel Plimsoll who built the viaduct. More famous for the plimsoll line on the side of ships, Plimsoll’s
To unload the barges, the Great Northern Railway Company built two canal basins. Two short branch canals led from the basins underneath the
Restored, repurposed and reanimated, those buildings remain part of King’s Cross’s character and tex
In the mid-1750s the new road was established to bypass the congestion of London; Somers Town lay immediately north of this east-west toll road. In 1784, the first housing was built at the Polygon amid fields,
Improvement of the slum housing conditions, amongst the worst in the capital, was first undertaken by St Pancras Borough Council in 1906 at Goldington Buildings. In the 1980s, some council tenants took advantage of the ‘right to buy’ scheme and bought their homes at a substantial discount. Later they moved away from the area. The consequence was an influx of young semi-professional people, resulting in a changing population.
Habitation in which, not only where human live but the rhythm/ pattern of repeating the same routine over and over again. Slowly marking